Biology Life on Earth with Physiology 10th Edition By Audesirk – Test Bank
1.1 Multiple Choice Questions
1) Scientific inquiry is based on
- A) natural selection.
- B) stories that are passed down through generations.
- C) natural causes.
- D) information found in a gossip magazine.
2) Which of the following is an example a natural cause?
- A) Mice arise from discarded garbage.
- B) Maggots appear spontaneously on rotting meat.
- C) Epilepsy is a disease caused by uncontrolled firing of nerve cells in the brain.
- D) If you sneeze you will die.
3) Science cannot answer certain faith-based questions because
- A) scientists are not able to study human behavior.
- B) faith-based beliefs are impossible to either prove or disprove.
- C) faith requires deductive reasoning.
- D) there aren’t enough variables.
4) Which of the following is FALSE about scientific theories?
- A) They have been thoroughly tested.
- B) They are developed by inductive reasoning.
- C) They are used to support observations using deductive reasoning.
- D) They can be either supported or modified by new observations.
- E) They are firmly established and cannot be refuted.
5) Which of these is NOT scientific?
- A) A study determines differences in the species composition in two parks.
- B) People are immunized with different vaccines to determine their relative effectiveness against the flu virus.
- C) NASA sends tadpoles up in the space shuttle to see how gravity affects their development.
- D) Consumers are asked which tomato variety produces the best-tasting spaghetti sauce.
- E) A company uses different advertising methods for a product to determine which one produces the most sales.
There are no reviews yet.