Test Bank For Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices 6th Edition by Denise M. Harmening
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. Which metabolic pathway is responsible for generating 90% of the ATP for the RBC?
a.Pentose phosphate shunt
2. A unit of blood was returned to the blood bank before it was spiked. Apparently, the patient’s IV failed. The unit of blood was outside the blood bank for 35 minutes. Which of the statements below is most accurate?
a.The unit of blood should be discarded immediately.
b.The unit of blood can be returned to inventory.
c.The unit of blood must be transfused within 4 hours or be discarded at the end of that time.
d.The unit of blood must be transfused within 24 hours.
3. What is the average diameter of a platelet?
a.5 to 10 µm
c.1 to 2 µm
b.2 to 4 µm
d.4 to 6 µm
4. In the normal hemoglobin-oxygen dissociation curve, what percentage of oxygen is released to the tissues when PO2 averages 40 mm Hg?
5. What factors are known to influence platelet metabolism and function?
d.All of the above
6. Which of the following red blood cell morphologies may be present on the peripheral blood smear as a result of loss of RBC membrane?
7. What does the term autologous transfusion refer to?
a.A parent donating blood for his or her child
b.An individual donating blood for a friend
c.An individual donating blood for a relative
d.An individual donating blood for his or her own transfusion
8. What is the primary function of hemoglobin?
9. All of the following areas of red blood cell biology are crucial for normal erythrocyte survival except:
c.ite of the ABO antigen attachment.
10. What is the correct biochemical composition of the RBC membrane?
a.52% protein, 40% lipid, 8% carbohydrate
b.40% protein, 8% lipid, 52% carbohydrate
There are no reviews yet.